Simple strength training ideas that kick ass!
Part 1: My white-wash answer if you’re male and between the ages of 13-50.
Tired of being weak and small? After a caffeine-fuelled all-nighter on the ‘net you had an epiphany! “All good programmes revolve around compound lifts?”
There are two extremes to the continuum, on one end people with little feet and at the other Shaq’s feet. This programme is like the shoe for the average person, with the average foot. Remember everyone is different and so this shoe will not fit everyone.
Do the Starting Strength programme for 1-6 months. Learn how to lift!
Then start Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 programme or the programme below for 1-3 years, then after that you will have enough experience to think for yourself.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|Squat 1×3,1×5 or 3×3||Bench press 3×3, 3×5 or 3/5/8||Deadlift 3×3 or 1×3,1×5|
|Barbell Romanian deadlift – volume||Barbell overhead press 3×5||Barbell row 3×5|
|T-bar or dumbbell row or shrugs – volume||Dumbbell flat/incline press or dips – volume||Hamstring curls 3×10|
|Hyper extensions + Abs||Tricep accessory or push-ups – volume||Chin ups – volume|
|Dumbbell curls 3×10||Reverse shoulder flies or band pull aparts – high volume||Dumbbell curls 3×10+Abs|
Some kick ass motivation curtsey of the Elitefts guys.
Sounds like your cuppa tea? Subscribe to SQUATSANDMILK.COM by Email It’s easy and simple to unsubscribe.
Part 2: How not to shoot yourself in the foot.
Please don’t skip this part, it’s much more important than part 1.
- It’s all about effort, nothing else matters.
- The end goal is to lift more weight.
- Good technique is the bread and butter of a good programme.
- Most of the energy is spent on the main lifts.
- Know when to back off; if you’re feeling beat up take it easy and reset your weights.
- Do some sort of soft tissue and mobility work.
- Eat like a farmer to grow: eat more protein and manipulate your carbohydrate intake to lose weight.
- Being consistent year in and year out is the only secret you will ever need.
- There is always room for improvement; you don’t need to be perfect.
- Common sense: use it. If it hurts don’t do it.
- Give it a fair crack, don’t programme hop.
- Have fun and don’t take yourself too seriously.
Books worth investing in.
Enjoy the article? Why not get email updates for more mind blowing awesomeness.